12-13 October 2016 representatives of the Central Asian Association of PLHIV participated in the first National Conference “HIV: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow” in Almaty.
The event was attended by the UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for HIV / AIDS in Eastern Europe and Central Asia Michel KAZACHKIN, UNAIDS Regional Director for Eastern Europe and Central Asia Viney Patrick SALDANA, Regional Manager for Eastern Europe and Central Asia (EECA) Global Fund for Fight against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria Nicolas KANTO, Coordinator of the US Presidential AIDS Program for Central Asia Allison LINCH.
Within the framework of the conference the following topics were announced:
– Key aspects of HIV infection in the Republic of Kazakhstan;
– Implementation of preventive programs and ensuring their sustainable financing to combat the spread of HIV in Kazakhstan;
– Contribution of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in HIV Prevention in Kazakhstan;
– Treatment of HIV infection: accessibility, effectiveness and commitment;
– New approaches to testing for HIV. Availability of HIV testing.
As a result of the report of the Global Competitiveness Index of the World Economic Forum for 2016-2017, Kazakhstan is included in the group of countries ranked 1st with low HIV prevalence.